Bay Area Garden Question and Answer – What to do about mold rot in Walt Creek

Q: Two months ago I received a free fertilizer from Walnut Creek. I had a 33 gallon garbage can in the garage.

The top of the compost was moldy, so I threw it down about 3 inches. Can I still use the remaining fertilizer? If it can still be saved, is there anything I can do with it before using it?

Linda Heat, Walnut Creek

A Mold is a part of the decay process that protects against mold and turns green waste into vegetable gold.

The mold is probably formed in plastic containers because it heats up when it decomposes, and this causes some of the condensation that the mold causes.

In most cases there is nothing to worry about. Be sure to mix well with other fertilizers or in the soil you are distributing.

In general, you will find three mold colors on your fertilizer. White mold is very common, and it is often found in compost. It is usually a good sign that all microbes and their functions are working.

Green mold is also common, and your fertilizer may be a sign that there are too many food products in it.

Sometimes it is not good to have an orange-looking rose. Fertilizer is often an indication that it contains some cleaning products, and that it can kill the organisms that are working to break it down into good debris. It may be in the fertilizer when you get the cleaning, or it may be in the container if you use soapy water to clean the dishes before you apply the fertilizer. In any case, it is not the best thing you can put in your garden. , So trim the mold and discard it.

Always carry masks and gloves when handling mold objects, especially if you have allergies or are exposed to mold spores. Otherwise it is better to go.

Do you have a question about gardening?

Use this form to submit questions. Photos must be sent individually to jmorris@bayareanewsgroup.com.

Leave a Comment