In western Texas, August nights invite us to spend the night outside in the dark. As darkness falls in our gardens, many lunar gardens with white flowers become brighter in the moonlight.
Moon gardens, known as white gardens or night gardens, are adorned with flowers that glow in the moonlight. The majestic white flowers stand out in the garden, and fragrant ground cover covers Paradise with gentle waves.
Flowers create a lunar garden; Some are bright, shiny, and some are fragrant. Height and size assignments include interest. Long flowers bloom in the evening breeze, and short flowers bloom the garden.
Flowering shrubs create a lunar garden background:
• Crepe myrtles (Lagerstroemia indica) white with green leaves – Natchez and Acoma; Burgundy-black leaf with ‘black diamond pure white’. Reach 10 feet.
• Rose (Rosa SP), roses need support, can be trained into columns – ‘Sombreuil’, ‘Clotilde Soupert’, ‘Lamarque’, ‘Cherokee’, ‘Ballerina’, ‘Sea Foam’ and ‘Prosperity’.
• Sharon Rose (Hibiscus Syriac). ‘White Chiffon’ and ‘Diana’, pure white flowers remain open at night – ideal for lunar gardens. Reach 10 feet.
Flower grapes grow tall when trained on a trellis or pergola.
• Angel Trump (Bugmania Candida), large trumpet-shaped flowers grow up to 15 feet.
• Hydrangea anomala petiolaris can rise, harden, vent, and damage walls.
• Mofolover (non-IPomoa) opens at night, is poisonous, and is called Jimson Weed, Devil’s Weed, Witch Weed.
• Garlic (Allium tuberosum), star-shaped umbilical cord carried on long stems; Flowers appear at the end of summer, It will be fruitful and invading.
• Gladio: “Vla Blanca”, “Prosperity”, magnificent, long-stemmed flowers grow from the bottom up. Cormorants are planted in early summer until late summer.
Annual and annual years;
• Cleome (Cleome spinoso) ‘Señorita Blanca’, blooms all summer, spreads growth, reaches 4 feet in height.
• Argyranthemum frutescens “Pure white butterfly”, a large container plant, blooms all summer.
• Petunia hybrid: “Supertonia white”, abundant flowers bloom throughout the summer.
• Verbena hortensis ‘Superbena Whiteout’, a pile of growth, blooms all summer.
The ground covers the garden anchor:
• Sweet Alisum (Lobularia Maritima) ‘Snow Princess’, flower ground cover, 4 inches tall, fragrant.
The perfect full moon night for gardeners with lunar gardens is August 22nd. Relax and enjoy.
Some information from antiqueroseemporium; Shiny flowers; provewinners.com
Ellen Pefley has been teaching fruits and vegetables at college for 28 years, 25 of them at Texas Tech, this time growing two onions. She is now the sole owner of a “vegetable” garden. You can email at email@example.com