The 114th annual Stephen County Free Fair is just a few days away.
This year’s free fair is scheduled to take place on August 18-21 at Stephen County Fields, and follows on from this year’s Free Fair Crown, which received its crown on Saturday, August 7.
Schedule of events
Wednesday, August 18 OHC, 4-H, Garden, Textile and Science Entrance will be open from 4 to 7 p.m.
Judgments will be held on Thursday, August 19, from 8:00 am to noon, for public exhibitions.
Exhibitions and trade fairs will open on Thursday at 1-9 p.m., open to the public and carnival at 6 p.m.
On Fridays, exhibitions and trade fairs will run throughout the day, with Carnival opening for the second night from 9:30 to 21 p.m.
Saturday’s animal shows and other events are as follows
• 8:00 AM, Pig Show
• 9:30 a.m., exhibitions and trade fairs
• 10 a.m., Ancient Tractor Show
• At 10 a.m., towing a pedal tractor
• 10 a.m., cattle show
• At 10 a.m., a goat show, followed by a sheep show
• 3-5 hours, free gospel song
• At 4 p.m., the carnival will open
Food at the fair
Fair food is always the best food.
This year’s food will be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the free show will be served Friday and Saturday at 5-8 p.m.
Thursday night will feature beans and corn bread at Comanche Ag Boosters.
Friday lunch will be served with Comanche Homemakers stew and cornbread, and dinner will feature a sandwich made by Stephen County livestock producers.
Saturday lunch featured 4-h Indian tacos in Stephen County, while dinner featured chicken spaghetti and garlic bread from Empire Ag Boosters.
Compete for prizes and prizes
Entries are open to any Stephen County resident. There will be 4-h and open class exhibitions on everything from honey to photography, home science, crafts and gardening. So join and participate in some competitions. Share your talents and collect your own ribbons and prizes.
• Artists of all ages share their skills by displaying their paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolors. Drawings with pen and ink as well as graphic pencil and paste are also available. The mixed media department is open to work in charcoal, collage, string art, scissors, etc.
• Photographers of all ages, backgrounds and experiences are invited to submit their best singles to the open. Photography competition has become one of the most popular competitions in the county. Photos judge their artistic views of composition and design. See all sections to enter the 2021 Stephen County Free Book Fair on pages 19-21
• Don’t miss the pie show. “Best Pie and Best Pack Baker” given during the Stephen County Fair Pie Show are some of the most exciting titles. The homemade cake contest will be held on Friday, August 20. Cakes judge spice, tin and filling and overall appearance. You need a copy of each recipe to judge. See page 27 of Stephen County Free Fair Book for Classes and more information. Bring your best cake to compete for the best bakery title. Apron will be awarded the Best Pie and Best Pie Maker in the Youth and Adult Classes. The pie competition is open to the public and everyone is invited to watch and listen to the judge’s comments.
There are many categories to attend the Stephen County Show and there is something for everyone to enjoy. Contact the Extension Office at 580-255-0510 for more information on the Stephen County Free Fair.