In 1935, when a 90-foot-tall Christian-disciple tent was set on fire, it lost its familiarity with clubs. Once again, the Christian Disciples’ Church sat on the other side of the road, along with the social hall, the classroom building, and the street. Tent Stone foundations filled with rainwater and created a pond for men to catch frogs and swim.
They feared that the city hall would be in danger of being flooded, so in August 1940 they rented the parks and recreation department from the State Christian Association and brought in WPA staff. They removed the four-sided stone foundations and filled the pit, then installed lawns, toilets, and playground equipment.
For a small hut built on small former camps, the park became a front yard for everyone. The center of activity since 1919 has been a clothing store, a bakery in 1925, and a grocery store called Grace Market in 1929. Building added to the market and post office in 1948. In 714, near Woodrow, Rev. Myrtle Anthony founded the Church of God in 1941, where fewer women were present.
Then, on December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was invaded, and Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany, and Fascist Italy all declared war on the United States. Immigrants from Japan, Germany, and Italy, who were not US citizens, were classified as “enemy aliens.” The Italians were mostly fishermen, and they were forced to set up north of Mission Road, fearing that they might help the invading forces. It doesn’t matter if the Americans were born with the Japanese, they were all sent to inmates. Based on the evidence of Nazi sympathy, German refugees are more likely to be selected or relocated.
Four months after Pearl Harbor, the All-Black 54th Coast Guard arrived at Lighthouse Point on Easter Sunday in 1942 to protect the coast. Some locals refused to serve black soldiers, and they wanted parts of downtown to be restricted to black military personnel. Santa Cruz, the 54th white commander, threatened to expel the entire city if he continued to torture the guards. Protests erupted. Some black soldiers’ families found homes in Garfield Park and Fair Street, summer homes, or cottages occupied by displaced Italians.
Woodrow Avenue was widely used as a landing strip for military aircraft. Some soldiers were present at the Christian Church. The 54th Armored Division remained at the end of the war, but some black soldiers favored Santa Cruz and returned to buy houses in Garfield Park. In 1948, the Black Community established the Missionary Baptist Church on South Branciforte Avenue, and in 1949 found the former Church of God on 714 Woodrow Ave. Some realtors prefer black customers to show these lots.
In 1953, the Parks Department recommended that the city purchase the famous Garfield Park Playground. The Northern California Regional Board of Churches (CCNC) said it would not respond until its January 1955 meeting, so the city council sent a representative to that meeting. It was there that the Christian-Disciples Church was seeking to build a large temple on the park site. The Board stated that the building would be the property of the parishioners and that the building would be returned to the CCNC if construction was not completed by 1960, or if the site was not used for religious purposes.
The local construction committee visited new churches, studied architecture, and was guided by Bill Nuns. The architect, Frank Barhite, a member of the Guba, will build Bay City Construction on 2734 Chantiller Avenue with partner Robert Schroeder. Their company is primarily designed and marketed as a freeway “city square”. Barite took over the city park and designed the church building to maintain adequate use of the park’s facilities. He chose a courtyard layout, such as the town hall, but was invented in 1926 by William Warster in the Scottish Valley, in the style of Rich House.
The large halls are covered with low ceilings, and the one-story profile blends in with the local low-rise neighborhood. Frank Lloyd Wright’s iron wheel, made by Ernest G. Swin, painted love like blue light, bringing love, truth, and goodness. The spacious festival grass and halls allow for large events with three small lots and 150 cars on the side. For the sake of the Mount of Olives, the olive groves swelled around the edge of the grass. No sidewalks were built, inviting people to enter and leave the property at any time.
On November 10, 1957, the church celebrated its 50th anniversary with music and memories of the temple hymn program, with Ula Prach, a senior member of the Church’s history department (joining in 1912). He then went to the social halls, including a picture book made for the first pastor in his history, J. H. McCollo, and a new “Golden Memories.” It was a chicken dinner, followed by cake, then CE Camerzell showed Christmas 1934, Easter 1937 and Frank Thompson church films and Parliamentary dedication.
An earthquake struck the new church on October 5, 1958. The Capitol of Time was established, citing Ephesians 2:20 – “According to the Apostles and Prophets, with Christ Jesus as the cornerstone” The church began its first ministry on June 14, 1959. The conference praised the large temple, social hall, gymnasium, kitchen, classrooms, library, fireplace and offices. A long tradition of community group meetings and gym activities began. Rose bushes are planted around the yard to remind their loved ones. The park became a garden.
Priest Gordon Mildurum soon acquired land for an affordable high-rise apartment building in 1964. To establish federal funding for him, he established a non-profit “Christian Church Houses,” which became a local company. , Is the type of model that currently operates 58 equivalent affordable facilities.
The neighborhood of the 1960s and ’70s clubs has grown exponentially, with students, retirees, civil servants, veterans, hippies, extremists and young families in UC Santa Cruz. Beginning in 1966, Rev. Gary Wells went from house to house to meet all the neighbors and promote the congregation. When the church bell rang, people came running from all over the neighborhood. One bare hippie came once and sat on the floor of the temple, was encouraged to come again, and soon became part of the Church.
Membership declined in the 1980s, and after the 1989 earthquake. Rev. Stephen Defield-Gambel, a full-time pastor in 2003, said the church was looking for new ways to stay fit. The missionary Baptist Church was a block on the south side, the Old Disciples’ Social Hall was the Word of Life Church, and the first United Pentecostal Church and the North Shore Community Church shared the new temple.
The campus offers four self-help programs, the AARP Driver Safety Training Unit, the Coral Autism Center, the Gray Bears Brown Bag, WestSide Singing, and Western Creative Performance Arts: Studio Wilde among other programs. The gymnasium was regularly used for basketball, volleyball, badminton and fencing, yoga classes, and long-term voting. The festival hosted the annual Hindu “Navri Festival”, the first responders’ National Night Out Party, neighboring flea markets, picnics, ice cream social and fourth Sunday field games.
Special missions for specific peoples – LGBT, homeless, refugees, atheists, gay activists, black life, permanent rock Indians, women’s rights and environmentalism, and sometimes resistance to civil rights. They changed their name to “Circle Church” to find out what the church was like. Holy and popular music was played, and the temple doubled as an art gallery.
A.D. In 2006, the session saw a new direction for the congregation’s 100th anniversary in 2007. Banquets and pots are always a big picture, and each of them costs $ 12,000 to replace the cans with tables. Table Tables C groups have been created for discussion and “cafe style worship service.” The motto of their vision was, “We are the feast of Jesus Christ, bringing the food of Christ’s compassion, healing, and peace to Santa Cruz.” Just as the founding fathers of the United States gathered in pubs to prepare for our democracy, the Church began a Sunday evening program of “Faith on the Streets” to share beer, wine, syringes and food and plan ways to achieve greater goals.
When Christopher Vanhal came to Garfield Park, he loved the idea of the Bathroom Church, and wanted to create a craft beer label called “The Great Purpose” with the proceeds for a great cause. He thought of a brewery with a bar and a restaurant if they could raise the money. Proponents of her case have been working to make the actual transcript of this statement available online. In 2017, they decided that the church was not a building but a people, so they sold a club of clubs to fund their dream project. The idea of a church cafe is commendable and a great invention. But in what Vanhol called “three years of bad luck at sea,” nothing has been done to mourn the loss of the center of our community, not just the herd.
Ross Eric Gibson is a former columnist for the San Jose Mercury News.